Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Long Forgotten - A short story by ME :)

This is one of those short stories I said I was going to post... :) This is an original ok? please don't be harsh... I'm not really a feature writer... :) GUYS this is 100% fiction ok? This isn't a true to life thing. :)
__________________________________________________________________________________


Christmas is near… Christmas is near…

Long Forgotten
Leana Isabel Sarfati Vibal


          It is Christmas morning. Everyone is supposed to be full of joy. Everyone must be surrounded with the people they love. Sad to say, the same is not for me. My mom isn’t here. She’s somewhere doing her job. I have no siblings and well my dad was never there for me since I turned five. Christmas Eve was ok but it wasn’t that big of a deal unlike in other families. It was basically just me and my mom the whole night.
            Don’t get me wrong, I love my mom. She’s always there for me. I couldn’t have asked for a better mom. It’s just that in my heart lies a memory, a memory of a happier era in my life. This memory if I didn’t hold on to it too much it would’ve been long forgotten.
                That memory was about my Christmas 20 years ago. My last real Christmas was such a long time ago I’m relieved I didn’t forget about it. It was a happier time. My family was still complete then. We stayed with my grandparents for the holidays. Almost all our relatives were there. Hugs, kisses, gifts, food and many more were abundant. How I could wish I could bring it back! I can still remember how my father would tell me “Alena! Smile for the camera” or “Alena, come and give me a hug”. I can’t ever forget that Christmas because it was my last with my entire family.
             After the holidays, things started going wrong. Every morning when I wake up, I could here my mom and dad arguing. But still, I never imagined it ending up this way. I thought on the day I woke up with no screaming or shouting everything was perfect again but I was very wrong. There were no screaming or shouting because my father left. He left without saying goodbye.
            Weeks passed and I waited by the window smiling at every stopping tricycle, only to be disappointed every time it wasn’t him. This lasted on for months then I just waited. I always hoped that he would come back. I never gave up even if my mom would tell me to stop hoping because I’ll just be disappointed. Then when it was time for the holidays again, I noticed a difference. It was like something was missing but I didn’t mind it for the first couple of years but as time passed I started longing for the happy feeling again. I never doubted that he would come back. That was before the 10 year mark. After that I began doubting him. I started to lose hope. After a few more years, I no longer cared. I just lived my life.
        Graduations, birthdays and holidays, after 10 years of disappointment I stopped caring if he was there or not. After 10 more years, I could barely remember his face. By this time, I no longer cared if he would ever come back. I was already used to this life, just my mom and myself.
       Today is just like any day when I didn’t have school. I’d stay with my friends from across the street. I stayed there till I felt like it. The only odd thing was today when I looked out my friend’s window I saw a man staring at our house. I didn’t mind him thinking he just liked the old Spanish façade of our home. But when I checked later, he was still there. Then an hour later, he was still there. I made a deal with myself, if after 30 more minutes he was still there I’d go out and ask him what his problem is. When the time came to check, I noticed he was still there. I went out while preparing my speech for the man but once he saw me, he started walking hurriedly away. I was confused. If he stayed there for over two hours, why did he leave so quickly when he saw me? Also I didn’t quite know his face but something inside me stirred.  It was like a memory I’ve buried inside me was suddenly unearth. Feeling confused, I just decided to go home. I pushed the rusty old gate then suddenly something fell down. It was a piece of paper. Written on it were these words:
I’m sorry Poinky…Merry Christmas… I love you dear always have and always will

         It was then that I realized that the man across the street from me moments ago was my father. No one calls me Poinky aside from him. The father I waited for, for many years finally came back. I started looking around. I ran from corner to corner checking to see if he was still there. But he was nowhere to be found. I soon gave up and just went inside contemplating on my stupidity at not recognizing my own father. I now know the memory that was suddenly unearthed was the long forgotten memory of my father. After all these years of waiting, I didn’t even notice when he came back. It was then I started remembering all the feelings of longing I long forgot. I feel both happy and sad. I feel happy ‘cause now I know he still cared for me. He still called me by my childhood nickname which means he remembered me. My father didn’t forget about me. However, I also feel sad. For many years, I always wished he would come back. But why would he choose to come back now? Why now? Now when I’ve already forgotten about him. Now when I’ve stopped caring. Why?  I know it may seem weird, but right now I wish he just didn’t come back so that I wouldn’t remember the hurt and longing anymore. So that, I could live my life peacefully as it has been for 20 years now. I just wished he remained long forgotten if he didn’t want to stay.
 _________________________________________________________________________________

Sad? :( Dunno why I wrote it this way... I'm generally a happy person GUYS this is 100% fiction ok? :)

4 comments:

  1. ikaw na ang emo 'te! tsk tsk naalala ko tuloy yung Philo play natin ahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah Mic... Wait for that post. I'm going to post it soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. <<< ssssssoooooooooooooooooo touched!

    ReplyDelete