Thursday, December 30, 2010

PHOTOGRAPHY. A not so new hobby.

Photography. It is defined as the art, hobby, or profession of taking photographs, and developing and printing the film or processing the digitized array image. During my junior year in high school, I was taught basic digital photography in Computer Class and I had tons of fun with it. In fact, in that specific class we were tasked to select 12 photos from our portfolio of  pictures of the different photography scenarios and our teacher would select the best photos. 7 of my 12 shots were chosen. Many said that I had an eye for photography, I simply shrugged their comments off thinking "Oh Photography is an art. I'm not good at art." But little did I know I was closing the door to a fun and great hobby.

I continued on with my life without further training on photography as digital photography was only taught for half my junior year. Actually, I'd say that my photography took a back seat to volleyball, academics, student politics and many more activities. The camera I owned would only be taken out on certain events like birthdays, barkada bondings or when I felt vain and bored. I actually used the camera mostly to promote my vanity. :))) Yet, after about a year of no serious, non-human photography, my mom thought it best to take my grandmother to this garden show in the University of the Philippines Los Banos Campus. My mom told me to bring the camera and to take tons of pictures to document our little spur of the moment trip. So I did just that. I took tons of pictures. I took pictures of my mom, my grandmother, myself (hey it can get very boring there plus I wanted a new picture in facebook) and the plants. I used the little knowledge I had in photography to take the pictures. I mean, it's not rocket science after all the camera I owned was just a point and shoot one. Anyway, I took tons of photos and some of those shots astonished me. My God! I took great photos! Some were amazing! Some were blurred but worked it. In general, I blew myself away with the shots I took. Still not convinced of their quality I posted them on facebook so that people could comment on them. And SHOCKER!!! people thought they were great too. It was then that I realized that hey I could be good at this. So I took more pictures and explored the possibilities that maybe I did have even just one artsy bone in my body. HAHA.

 But my camera was just a point and shoot, if anything the quality of my pictures could simply be a reflection of how great my camera was because with that type of camera I simply had to look for something to photograph, compose it and click. I wanted to be challenged. I wanted to upgrade my camera to a DSLR.  But a DSLR costs around 30k at least! and I didn't have that kind of moolah. Luckily, my Uncle, who's a photography enthusiast gave me his other DSLR ( DID I MENTION I REALLY LOVE MY UNCLE??? :))) ) and VOILA!!! Now I have all the goods to try my luck at this artsy hobby.


I will make this my new year's resolution: PURSUE PHOTOGRAPHY AS A HOBBY :D


to check out some of my most prized photographs click this link:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2035350&id=1598243835



No comments:

Post a Comment